Medicaid and Telehealth
If you're eligible for Assurance Wireless, you may be able to access health services with a simple phone call from your free smartphone.
Connect to Quality Healthcare with Your Free Smartphone
When life gets challenging, there is nothing more important than staying on top of your health.
Unfortunately, other things may also stand in your way. Limited access to quality health services—whether it’s fewer local healthcare options, lack of transportation or even physical ability—may prevent you from getting the care you need. High-quality healthcare might seem out of reach, but it’s not. In fact, it may be in the palm of your hand right now.
Your free Smartphone, provided by Assurance Wireless in conjunction with the free Lifeline cell service plan, can be part of the answer. It allows you to connect with healthcare professionals at your convenience using voice and video chat capabilities. See how accessing Medicaid telehealth services using your Assurance Wireless service could assist with your healthcare access.
What Is Telehealth and How to Access Care
Telehealth, also known as telemedicine, allows you to talk with a healthcare provider without meeting in person. You can interact with qualified nurses and physicians over the phone, explain your symptoms and concerns, and receive certain types of medical advice. Some of the available telehealth services may include:
- Guidance for treating certain illnesses and health conditions
- Reviewing results from lab tests, bloodwork and X-rays
- Accessing mental health and counseling services
- Following up with physicians after a surgery or procedure
- Managing prescriptions
There are several ways to get started with telehealth services. The simplest may be to talk to your insurance provider to see what options are available. Many healthcare providers and specialists are now integrating telehealth into their practices, so you can call them directly and ask about their telehealth options. The United States Department of Health and Human Services provides a resource to find health centers that offer services, including telehealth.
Telehealth Services Are More Popular Than Ever
The pandemic was tough for everyone, but it made us quickly adapt to new methods of doing everyday tasks. People still needed to see doctors and receive routine healthcare. As a result, we saw an increase in virtual telehealth services. The U.S. Government Accountability Office reported a substantial increase in Medicaid beneficiaries who used telehealth services during the pandemic, and that number only continues to grow.
Increase in Medicaid beneficiaries who used telehealth services from March 2020 to February 2021
With telehealth, you get access to medical advice for health issues, so it’s no surprise more people are seeking convenient ways to connect and manage their health. Using your free Smartphone, you can receive many medical services from the comfort of your home—when health concerns arise.
Remote Appointments Remove Barriers to Better Health
Let’s be honest, coordinating doctor appointments can be a challenge. Telehealth removes many barriers, time constraints and stress so you get the support you need to stay healthy. Telehealth benefits:
- Are convenient. Talking with a doctor on your phone makes it easy for both of you, without travel or time away from home. You may be able to get prescriptions from your doctor faster and from the convenience of your home.
- Are on your schedule. Remote appointments eliminate the need to arrange transportation and cut down on wait times.
- Are all on your phone. Even if you don’t have easy access to the internet or video chat capabilities, you can still connect with providers over the phone, text and other messaging services.
- Help protect you from illness. With limited physical contact, you don’t have to worry about exposure to COVID-19, colds or other infectious diseases in a doctor’s office.
- Offer you a choice of providers. Telehealth services allow you a broader list of doctors and specialists because you aren’t limited to those who are close by.
Getting on-the-spot guidance from healthcare providers has never been easier. Your free smartphone can help bridge the gap between you and a healthier life.
If you or someone in your household participates in Medicaid or other government assistance programs, you may already qualify for the Lifeline Program.
Don’t wait to start taking advantage of the benefits of the free Assurance Wireless phone, including convenient access to remote healthcare and countless other helpful services. In some situations, you may not be able to replace an in-person medical visit, but telehealth allows additional opportunities to stay connected. Connecting to health resources that could improve your life feels invaluable, and with the Assurance Wireless phone plan and broadband service, you can connect for free.
This article is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always consult with your healthcare provider.